Sherman Avenue United Methodist Church, a multicultural community of faith, are called to make disciples of all people to the glory of God and service of Christ
To share God’s love and nurture all people to be disciples/followers of Jesus Christ
A Little History
Text taken from the Sherman Avenue United Methodist Church 20th Anniversary brochure.
Gazing over the view of the city they’d been called to serve, the three men who had been walking through the cornfield looked at each other, nodded, and knew that this indeed was the place for the new Methodist Church to serve Madison’s North Side. The Reverend W.R. Connor, Southern District Superintendent, recommended its immediate purchase. Thus the Sherman Avenue Methodist Church began.
The newly formed church met in various homes under the part-time leadership, but full-time care of Reverend David Johnson. In the fall of 1953, a full church program began in the Johnson’s home at 1949 Vahlen Avenue. There were about 20 families and 49 in the Sunday school. Already outgrowing its facilities, the first Christmas program was in the cafeteria of the Forsberg Paper Box Company.
During 1954, building plans were drawn up and a bid for the first unit was accepted. Ground breaking ceremonies were Sunday, March 20th, 1955, with construction beginning the next day. Fellowship Hall was ready for its first service on September 4th. Well, almost ready – planks laid on boxes of ceiling tile served as pews!
On May 27, 1958, construction began on the parsonage for a fulltime pastor, who was to be Reverend Eldon Daniel. He moved in that summer and served the rapidly expanding church and growing community until 1963.
Reverend Carl Fox was next appointed to serve our congregation. A need for a sanctuary seemed apparent, and the new addition was completed in the spring of 1964. The unrest throughout the world at this time paralleled the trying experiences at Sherman Avenue Church.